To get deficiencies in a new home addressed, a homeowner is required to submits a Tarion Warranty Form.  To learn more about these forms and the timelines for their submission have a look at the following video:

Tarion has an easy to understand video presentation of the key features of Ontario's New Home Warranty Program and how to make it work for you.  Have a look:

Can I make changes to the common elements?

On March 7, 2013, in Common Elements, by Irfan Alli

To make any changes, add something to or modify the common elements, The Condominium Act requires you to get permission from the Condominium Corporation.  Which means the Board of  Directors.

To protect the Corporation and yourself this is done in writing.  You make a request in writing, and the Board replies in writing.   Often restrictions are put in place, and it is stated who is responsible for maintaining and repairing the change in the future.

So before running off to install a satellite dish, make a flower/kitchen garden or install a privacy fence, be sure to check with your Property Manager and Condominium Board. Most of the time the answer is NO.

Tagged with:

How should I choose a real estate agent?

On February 20, 2013, in General, Real Estate Agent, by Irfan Alli

Read my page Real Estate Agent.  Also watch the following video:


Tagged with:

What are exclusive-use common elements?

On February 1, 2013, in Common Elements, by Irfan Alli

They are specified in the Declaration of the Condo Corporation, and are areas of the common elements used exclusively by only one owner or a group of owners that live adjacent to that common element. In the case of one owner, it could be a balcony, patio, backyard or frontyard.  In the case of several owners, it may be use of a certain lawn, while other owners have use of a different lawn.

What are common elements?

On January 4, 2013, in Common Elements, by Irfan Alli

They are areas of the Condominium complex that are repaired and maintained by the Condominium Corporation.  They are defined by the Declaration and will be different in a high rise building compared to a townhouse complex.

They are owned by all unit owners, and may consist of a playground, swimming pool, roadways, gazebo, lawns, walkways, a gymnasium, security system, elevators, roofs, garbage rooms, fire alarm system, lobbies, party room, garages, etc.

Tagged with:

What is a Status Certificate (Form 13)?

On December 17, 2012, in Status Certificate, by Irfan Alli

A Status Certificate summarizes the financial and legal health of a Condominium Corporation and indicates if any financial increases will be passed on to unit owners in the near future.  The information is comprehensive and comes with several attached / included documents.

If you are buying a re-sale property one of the best things you can do for yourself is order a status certificate (previously called Estoppel Certificate) of the Condominium Corporation in which you intend to buy. You do not have to own a condominium in the Corporation.  However, you are required to pay around $100.00 for this document.

Status Certificates are typically ordered from the Property Management Company of that Corporation. Once they receive a written request and your $100.00 (paid to the Management Company) they have 10 days (includes weekends) to get the Status Certificate ready.  Ensure you order it well ahead of any deadlines you need to meet.

Tagged with:

Is there a Condominium boom in Toronto?

On November 20, 2012, in General, by Irfan Alli

Condos are being built in Toronto at a very rapid pace.  In fact Toronto has twice as many cond0s under construction than New York city.  To get a sense of what is happening have a look at this video:

Tagged with: